Texas Leanings

I’ve been doing some genealogy and have discovered I am a fifth generation Texan on three different sides. This is fairly uncommon in Texas because we weren’t a state until 1845, and the population of Texas is growing at an unprecedented rate with folks arriving from all over. Texas is a big place, roughly 800 miles (give or take a few) from both North to South and East to West.

I was hatched in the barren, arid sands of west Texas. It’s a harsh climate and the people who settled it tended to be hardy individualists with a wide stubborn streak. Generally, they were a no-nonsense bunch, intent on scratching out a living as best they could.

It took guts for my ancestors to move from the more bucolic lands in the east to come west and farm such hard-scrabble land. I grew up with midnight coyotes howling outside the door; cactus, grass burs, bull nettles, and mesquite thorns growing in wild profusion, and diamondback rattlesnakes slithering among the rocks. You don’t go barefoot in west Texas unless you have something of a death wish.

We faced frequent sandstorms and in the spring and summer months, the very real threat of tornadoes.

Where I’m from most everyone hunts and owns guns, believes barbecue beef brisket is mana from heaven, knows how to saddle and ride a horse, drives pickup trucks and can speak enough Spanish to get by. It’s a place where Wrangler jeans, cowboy boots and hats aren’t fashion accessories, but rather requirements for braving the unforgiving sun and savage terrain.

It was not the easiest environment for a shy, bookish girl to grow up in, but Texas made me who I am, and filled me with a never-quit, can-do-spirit that’s forged my career.

You might be thinking why would anyone stay here for five generations? Well, for all her faults and flaws, Texas also has poignant beauty. If you’ve never seen a field of bluebonnets spreading out like nature’s carpet, you’ve been missing out. (For some beautiful Texas photography, check out this site. http://www.wymanmeinzer.com/wymans-favorite-40/

Then there are…

The People

Folks from Texas are some of the friendliest people you’ll ever meet.

Tex-Mex.

Texas is the only place you will get real Tex-Mex. Whoever tells you otherwise is lying.

The Sky

The skies are just darn gorgeous.

The Economy

Oil, banking, cattle, we make money.  Lower cost of living. Cheaper housing.

The Land

We got space folks. Plenty of elbow to stretch out and live life large.

Austin

Cause it’s weird. And the stellar music coming out of that place.

San Antonio

Cause of the Riverwalk. And the food.

The Cowboys

Nuff said.

So what about you? Where are you from? How has your environment influenced you? What are the pros and cons of living where you do?

14 Comments

1. Teresa Fordice on September 28, 2018 at 3:28 pm

Hoosier born and bred , Grandparents on Dads side were in IL, but hubs family goes back almost 200 years on his Dad’s side in the area where we live and all have been farmers!

• Lori Wilde on September 28, 2018 at 3:31 pm

You had no choice but to farm coming from the Hoosier state!

2. Carolyn Martin on September 28, 2018 at 3:29 pm

I’m Texas bred, born and raised. I love Texas and wouldn’t live anywhere else.

• Lori Wilde on September 28, 2018 at 3:31 pm

What do you like most about Texas?

• Theresa L Pierce on September 28, 2018 at 3:39 pm

I love living in a small town, but being close to Mt. Pleasant, Dallas, Paris and Texarkana. The con is you are a little ways from everything.

• Lori Wilde on September 28, 2018 at 3:50 pm

I don’t consider that a con. Just part of the price you pay for country living. LOL.

3. Joni Holmes on September 28, 2018 at 3:33 pm

I love this!
    I too am from hardy stock.
    Harsh and yet I would never want to call any other place home than my beautiful Kentucky.

• Lori Wilde on September 28, 2018 at 3:48 pm

What do you love most about Kentucky, Joni?

4. Theresa L Pierce on September 28, 2018 at 3:35 pm

I’m living in Bagota Texas not far from Paris Texas. Iwas born and raised in Oklahoma, on the other side of The Red River. We were so close to Texas, I remember standing in the peanut field looking at the Red River. My father and siblings were all born in Texas, around Roxton. During hard times they picked cotton, worked in the fields and oil fields .
    My mother and daddy taught me how garden, work hard, cook and take care of myself and those I love.

• Lori Wilde on September 28, 2018 at 3:49 pm

I had to work the gardens and fields growing up, but I went down the opposite road. I hate it! Good for you for loving to garden, Theresa.

5. Toni Baechtel on September 28, 2018 at 4:39 pm

I, too am from west Texas. I was born in Midland, and spent the first part of my life in Lamesa. My Grandfather owned Pruitt’s Shoe Shop,and do a lot of leather work for the Sherriff’s office and made saddles for many,many cowboys. I love your books,and how they capture that flavor. That mind set! And I miss Tex-Mex SO BADLY!!!!

• Lori Wilde on September 28, 2018 at 4:40 pm

West Texas sister!

6. Jennifer Jeffries on September 29, 2018 at 10:14 pm

I was born in Indiana and I am also called a Hoosier! I have lived in Madison, Indiana since I was 3 years old and this is my beautiful hometown. Madison is located in Southeastern Indiana in the Ohio Valley. It is a small historic town that is known for our historic downtown area. We are across the river from Milton, Kentucky and our downtown is literally reached by driving down the mountain side. Our hilltop is all modern with a Walmart, Kroger grocery store and strip malls, fast food, etc. Our downtown area has specialty shops, restaurants, many historic homes to visit and our riverfront has been updated in a historic way. We also have Clifty Falls State Park to visit. We have some industrial companies on the hilltop but we have a large farming community also. Hanover college is also located just outside Madison in Hanover, Indiana. Most people here are very friendly and welcoming to the many visitors that come for our many community festivals throughout the year!

• Lori Wilde on September 30, 2018 at 11:38 am

Thanks for sharing, Jennifer. Your hometown sounds lovely.