Deep in the Heart of Texas

Last month, my husband and I were lucky enough to become the permanent stewards of four Texas longhorns. These beautiful creatures were seized from a ranch in the Texas Hill Country because they were neglected and starving. I was led to understand that the original owner was grazing 350 head on 43 acres. Mostly, you need an acre per cow.

Here is their story. https://www.wfaa.com/article/life/pets/dead-longhorns-prompt-seizure-of-hundreds-of-animals-on-central-texas-property/287-516736501

When we heard about their plight, we knew we had to step up and offer a few of them a forever home. This video link shows them arriving at our ten acre place, Epiphany Orchards.

I can’t begin to tell you how much we’ve enjoyed them. They are getting tamer and tamer every day. The folks at the North Texas Humane Society are angels. They do what they do for the love of animals. If you feel moved by the story of the saving of the Longhorns, please consider donating to your local Humane Society.

6 Comments

1. Marsha M on September 21, 2018 at 1:10 pm

They are just beautiful and very lucky to have y’all adopt them. I still find it an oxymoron to have a short horned longhorn, lol.

• Lori Wilde on September 21, 2018 at 1:37 pm

Their horns are still short because they are young. The horns continue to grow throughout their lives.

• Jennifer Jeffries on September 21, 2018 at 4:25 pm

Lori! How cool and wonderful to be able to help these innocent animals! I’m sure that they will continue to be more healthy and better adjusted to those who have been caring for them! I have always loved animals and have rescued many dogs and cats in the past; I live in a small town so no cows in the city limits. I have had a 3 legged cat who was diabetic and took care of her until she died at age 13. I gave her insulin shots and IVS when needed. I also support the dog pound and give donations when I can. I also donate our cans so that can bring in money for the local shelter. Cudos to you and your husband!

• Lori Wilde on September 21, 2018 at 5:16 pm

Thank you for all you do. People can donate all kinds of things besides money. Time, pet food, old towels, cleaning supplies. Shelters need so much.

2. Cassie Lackey on September 29, 2018 at 8:27 pm

Hi Lori, This is Cassie Lackey with the Humane Society of North Texas. We would love to use a photo of your Longhorns, with your permission. You have taken amazing photos!! Could you email me?

• Lori Wilde on September 30, 2018 at 11:39 am